# File Formats
If back-ends offer/mirror the same file formats for both import and export, it is required to align them.
For file export through
save_result for example, the output parameters and the structure of the data that is written to storage needs to be defined.
For the following file formats an agreement has been achieved:
The idea of these guidelines is to align with what the formats and corresponding toolchains support as much as possible.
- One timestamp per geotiff, as geotiffs do not support multiple timestamps.
- All datacube bands are stored in the same geotiff
- The full spatial extent is written to the same geotiff
- Cloud optimized
- For ideal support in the Web Editor (and other tools), the following guide is recommended to be followed: https://github.com/Open-EO/openeo-web-editor/blob/master/docs/geotiff.md (opens new window)
- The full datacube is written to a single netCDF.
- The openEO dimension metadata is preserved in the netCDF file.
- CF conventions (https://cfconventions.org/) are used where applicable.
- Data is chunked and compressed